Friday, March 16, 2012

The Parasol Protectorate: Volume 1


Back in January I bought a ominubus from the Science Fiction Book Club, not sure what I was getting into.  It was called The Parasol Protectorate Vol I and it had the most fascinating cover I have ever seen.  A woman holding an umbrella or parasol in Victorian London times.  I have always been a fan of historical fiction so I thought why not?  What I soon found out is this is a paranormal historical fiction.
Our main character, Alexia Tarabotti, is living in Victorian times with werewolves, vampires, fey, and witches.  And these are common knowledge too.  They don't live in the shadows, no, they are citizens and some very respected.
As I read (or more likely devoured) this book, it became apparent that I was hooked.
Oh, and did I forget to mention that Miss Tarabotti isn't untouched either.  She is a soulless, which basically means whenever she touches a supernatural being their power disappears just as long as she is touching this creature.  That alone makes for some very interesting scenes and I promise you will not be disappointed.

In Vol. One there are the first three books, Soulless, Changeless,and Blameless. I don't want to give too much away because I would like for you to read them for yourselves and let me know what you think.  I will tell you there is some steampunk in these novels.  I didn't really think steampunk was my thing but after I read these books, I am beginning to see the fun in it.

There are many lovable characters in these novels that you will fall for, cheer for, and cry when something doesn't go their way. But one thing I promise you will be glad you read these stories.

My Goodreads review:


Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)Soulless by Gail Carriger
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I love historical romance anyways and then when you add the supernatural to it, then I am definitely in love!  Our heroine, Miss Tarabotti is so funny and bright and confident she is certainly someone to admire.  But that she is also a soulless makes her even more interesting.  I do think my favorite character of the book(besides Alexia Tarabotti) is Lord Maccon, the constable and also alpha of London's werewolf pack.  He is everything you think a wolf should be: handsome, strong, and a little headstrong.

There were parts in this book that had me laughing out loud, especially in the beginning, and there were other areas where I just couldn't believe she had to go through the things she has to put with.  I think anyone who loves to laugh but also wants a little more substance to a comedy would definitely like this book.  I would call this a romantic comedy of the supernatural ilk.  In other words: A masterpiece.


View all my reviews


If you would like to order Volume 1 which includes Soulless, Changeless, and Blameless just click on the picture below:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design