Tuesday, October 25, 2016

eARC Review: Scorched Souls by Jeff Altabef and Erynn Altabef {Book 3 in Chosen Series}

Title: Scorched Souls
Author(s): Jeff Altabef; Erynn Altabef
Series: Chosen, book 3
Publisher: Evolved Publishing
Genre: Scifi, YA thriller, paranormal, action
Source: received from authors, Novel Publicity, ebook, 13+



Synopsis:
Fate and destiny clash in the explosive, heart-pounding conclusion to the award-winning Chosen series.~~~~~Survival is not enough.Alliances will be formed.Loyalties tested.A choice made.My name is Juliet Wildfire Stone and I’m not just a Chosen, I’m the Alpha… and the fate of Earth rests in my hands.When I finally met the Prime Elector, he wasn’t anything like I expected. He was supposed to be our mortal enemy, a monster I needed to destroy to fulfill my destiny, yet he was nothing like that—he’s young, brilliant, and looks like an angel.Caught in the middle of a conflict between two ancient foes, which threatens to rip Earth apart, I must do what is right at all costs. To choose my fate, and Earth’s future, I will need to navigate a new path, form unlikely alliances, and solve ancient mysteries forgotten for centuries.Yet I cannot do it alone. Will the other Chosen follow me? Do I have the strength to make the right choice, or will the people of Earth be enslaved for all time?


My Thoughts:

It's finally here! The last book in the series, Chosen, by Jeff and Erynn Altabeff, a father daughter author team!! Scorched Souls is such a perfect title to this story.  It is literally the embodiment of how the characters feel; how I feel after reading this! 
I want to thank the authors for sending me the e-book, and also a huge shout out to Novel Publicity for thinking of me too. You guys rock!!

Now, I need you to remember that this is the last book in the series.  I try my best not to reveal spoilers, but sometimes when you are discussing the last book, that is impossible to do.  So if you haven't read the other two books then please run and grab those books before you even read this.  

Scorched Souls picks up around about where Brink of Dawn leaves off.  All of the Chosen are together, having survived a battle and losing their mentor, Stuart.  They are all a little shaken, but Juliet, our main protagonist, seems to be feeling the effects of her choices.  She still feels guilty for killing and she worries more and more about the other Chosen.  
There is also  a budding relationship between Juliet and Connor that seems to give her strength when she needs it most.  
I am grateful the authors did not make this into a love triangle with Troy.  I love Troy and I believe what he and Juliet shares transcends any physical love.  Troy is her best friend, her brother, maybe even her Jimny Cricket, or her conscience.  Their relationship is magical and I appreciate the fact that it wasn't lessened by turning it into a love triangle.  Thank you!

I believe this book is a literary masterpiece because of the utmost care that is put into creating characters that are believable, realistic, and lovable.  Yes, our main characters have powers and abilities that most of us don't, but that doesn't take away from us being able to relate to them.  It just shows us more of how human they become when they are forced to bear such responsibility.  
These people are wracked by fear, anxiety, guilt, and self-doubt; yet they overcome all of this to protect each other every day.  They also show us love, respect, honor, intelligence and bravery in every choice they make.  I honestly believe lots of teens today could learn from Juliet and her friends.
I know I have, even being a lot older than these characters.  

There is a quote that Juliet's grandfather tells her and I absolutely love it:

"The Wind Spirit isn't always good, and Coyote isn't always bad." 

Honestly, I believe that  sums up life perfectly.  Every person has both inside them.  You have to look at their actions and try to find their soul to see the "goodness" that you need to find.  Wonderful quote!
There are lots of concepts discussed through the book, including the American Indian culture, as well as the essence of souls, and forgiveness.  I think an important concept that gets addressed is death.  There are different aspects and beliefs out there and I like that the book caters to other beliefs as well.  And of course, I love how there are many common similarities to the Spirit World in different beliefs.  Great job!

There  is non-stop action in Scorched Souls, and we are traveling to England this time, Connor's hometown.  So we get to explore a little more about our resident good bad boy's past. 
I have always wanted to visit England and through the beautiful and detailed descriptions, I feel like I was right there with everyone.  

I feel like a great way to sum up Juliet and her progression is a quote from our friendly neighborhood hero, Spiderman:

"With great power, comes great responsbility."

Juliet continues to get stronger and stronger and struggles with controlling the power as it flows through her body.  She is faced with a difficult decision that could destroy everything she holds dear.  Even throughout all of this, though, she doesn't lose sight of her humanity.  She continues to grasp what it means to be human, to contain a soul.  

And of course as well as being introduced to some new characters, we are allowed a reunion with some returning characters from the other two books.   
I will warn you that the ending is a hard one.  We do lose people and you will shed some tears.  But I also understand the need for this ending and I think you will too.  

The Takeaway:
Scorched Souls is a fantastic ending to a wonderful series that combines aliens, faith, American Indian culture, and secret societies to give us a story that is wholly satisfying and soul embracing. 


Don't forget to check out the sponsored giveaway posted here. And remember to grab your own copy at:

Purchase:

Connect with our Authors:
Jeff Altabef:

Erynn Altabef:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design