Friday, June 19, 2015

eArc Book Review: Damaged by Avelyn Paige

Title: Damaged
Author: Avelyn Paige
Publisher: Self
Date of Publication: May 3 2015
Source: received from author for honest opinion
Level: Mature 18+
Pick up a copy: Amazon | Barnes & Noble |



Book Synopsis:
Evie Carter has faced trials and tribulations her entire life. Her teenage years have been ripped away from her as she battles cancer. Just when things can’t get any worse, her doctor delivers the news that it’s finally time to make a life or death decision. Her options are limited and come with deadly consequences. The miracle drug that is meant to save her life changes her on a cellular level. She might not be damaged anymore, but she might just be damned in her new life.

My Thoughts: 

First off, look at that cover!  It is a pretty badass representation of Evie, our protagonist in the story.  Just from that cover, we can tell this is going to be a very gritty and dark story.

Damaged makes us question how we would be willing to go in order to live our lives, no matter the circumstances.  It puts us in touch with our morality and makes us look deep into our hearts to see how we could cope with the price.  

Our protagonist, Evie Carter, has a type of cancer that is incurable.  The doctors have tried everything and yet it keeps coming back.  Then they pose the question to her : can we try something controversial and new?  Left with no other options besides giving up, Evie decides to try this unexpected drug.  

This is when her life gets even more turned upside down.  

I can totally understand why Evie went for the drug trials; I probably would have done the exact same thing.  No one wants to look death in the eye at such a young age.  It is not in us to just give up.  So right then, we see that Evie is a fighter.  

This is when we see the development of Evie's character more when she has to literally try to cope with her morality and new abilities, while trying to learn who she can trust and not trust.  
I did feel like Evie was a little too forgiving for my tastes; but at the same time, I guess I can understand how alone she must have felt without anyone.  

I did enjoy watching Evie learn her body's powers and limitations and really just learning to live again.  She is only in her twenties; yet she really hasn't experienced life as a young adult.  

The world builiding was decent.  As I was reading this book, I felt that the pacing was a little slow and I was seeing this as a three star book.....
But then we got close to the end and OHMYGOODNESS!!!!  The last few chapters were freaking amazing!  There was so much action and drama; I was pretty much speechless!
And it gives us this to die for cliffhanger!  

Basically, Damaged is a pretty good book.  It has this science fiction kinda feel to it with some definite drama scenes mixed in with it.  One of my favorite parts is that we get to see Evie grow as a character and person.  She gets to experience life; albeit not the life she would have chose, but still life.  And the ending is wonderful!  

Of course, this is a gritty book with lots of cursing in it and it does have some sexual scenes in it as well.  But I would urge any adults to give Damaged a try.  It will make you think about how far you would go to beat death.  






Connect with the Author:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design