Thursday, February 27, 2014

Book Review: Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter {Book 1: The White Rabbit Chronicles}

Title: Alice in Zombieland
Author: Gena Showalter
Series: The White Rabbit Chronicles Book 1
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Date of Publication: Sept. 25, 2012
Source: bought, paperback,  404 pages

From Goodreads:
She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.
Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.
Her father was right. The monsters are real….
To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….

I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.I'd tell my sister no.I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.I'd tell them I love them.I wish... Yeah, I wish

My Thoughts: 

I am a sucker for anything, and I mean anything, that is similar or alluding to the classic story, Alice in Wonderland.  I love that story and the oddities that are associated with it.  So I am always open-minded to anything that may share some story lines from the Lewis Carroll creation.  
But Alice in Zombieland is quite different than what I was expecting.  I believe I am not alone when I say I thought this would be a retelling of the classic story but with a minor difference: zombies.  However, that isn't what we have here.  Alice in Zombieland is something quite different and wholly entertaining, with minor references to the classic fairy tale.  

Of course, I was a little bummed out that it wasn't a retelling; but as I got further along into the story I realized the story is better than if it were a retelling.  The author, Gena Showalter, puts such an elaborate twist on these zombies that I felt like I was being introduced to zombies for the first time, all over again!  I love how she took the idea of zombies and made it all her own in such a creative and original way involving spiritual concepts that really bring it to a whole new level.  

Besides the originality of the plot, the characters really grab me and I find myself loving every minute of it.  Our main character, Alice Bell, had my heart at the very beginning.  The love that she exhibits for her little sister is just overwhelming.  I think when I first read the synopsis on the back, I assumed it was all because she was trying to fit in with some friends, or for a boy.  It usually is that way, but I was completely off the mark.  
The devotion that Alice professes for her little sister is staggering and I just felt so much loyalty to this character in the first few pages of the book.  Never have I been this drawn to a character so soon.  
And of course through everything that Alice experiences, her resolve and determination just solidifies my respect for her.

But Alice isn't the only protagonist that I felt a deep connection to too.  Her friend, Kat, is a perfect compliment to Alice and her terrible past.  Its like they were meant to be friends and I think everyone should have a Kat in their friendship circles! 
And then there is Cole Holland.  Oh my sexy goodness!  This guy is just Sexy Walking!  I know that makes no sense and yet it just does.  
He is the school's bad boy and leader of the bad boy click, where everyone else swears they are dangerous.  And they are but not in the way the rest of the school says.  I absolutely love the way Ms. Showalter wrote Alice and Cole's interactions!  They're funny, sexy as hell, and you could feel the tension even through the pages of the book.  Let me just tell you Gena Showalter can write some romance! Love it!!!
Oh and there is an ex-girlfriend who you will probably hate; I did.  But she brings a certain flair to the story and I just have to say one word: treadmill.  That scene is probably one of my favorites.  Maybe that makes me petty but I still like it.  
And I think it does play a part in the overall story line as well.  

Gena Showalter does a wonderful job reintroduces us to zombies in a different and even more interesting way than what we were used to.  I also enjoyed the fact that she took small details from my favorite children's story to enhance the world Alice Bell resides in now, helping her survive in more ways than one.  I think Alice in Zombieland is basically a book about loyalty, redemption, and love and the zombies are the cherries on top.  
I highly recommend this book to anyone! Its that good!



Connect with Gena Showalter:

Pick up your copy at:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design