Friday, June 7, 2013

ARC Review: Broken by Robert J. Crane {The Girl in the Box Series # 6}

Title: Broken
Author: Robert J. Crane
Series: The Girl in the Box # 6
Publisher/Date of Publication: self/ June 2013
Source: received from the author for my honest exchange of this book.  I was in no way compensated for this review and all of these opinions are mine, no matter how "out there" they are.
Links to Buy: Amazon | Barnes & Noble 
Genres: 17+, Urban Fantasy, Science Fiction

From Amazon:

Sienna Nealon is a broken human being. Her lover is dead, her closest friends have deserted her, and her employers have betrayed her. From the ashes of her desperation, she must master the metahuman powers at her command and finally tame the souls that share her body for one ultimate purpose - revenge against the ones who destroyed her life.
Note: This is book six of the series and may not make sense to new readers. Book one is titled Alone, and is presently available for free in ebook formats.



My Thoughts:
As I sit here, sipping my tea, I find myself looking back on all that Sienna has accomplished...as well as all she has lost.  I try to determine if one is higher than the other; or if it is a balance between the two.  Which probably doesn't matter but I feel like to understand this book, we need to really understand why and where all this anger comes from.
And if you haven't read any of the books before this one I compel you to STOP!  HAMMER TIME ....
(No sorry couldn't help myself)
But you really need to pick up the first book in the series so you can see where Sienna is coming from.

So we see that all hell breaks loose in Broken and Sienna is a death dealer in every sense of the word.  Everyone has deserted Sienna, except for a select few, and she has lost those that are the most important in her lives.  But besides this, she has been betrayed by those that she trusted the most.
So we are seeing a completely broken shell of Sienna (hence the name) that is hell bent on revenge no matter the cost to herself or her future.
Even before the event that took Zach away from her, Sienna had been through some tough to deal with crap but she always had that glimmer of hope that things would be better.
Now, I just can't seem to find that glimmer anymore. All I see is pain.  There is hope, but it is my hope that Sienna can rise up like a phoenix after all is said and done and still find something good inside her and this world.
Besides the strong emotional characters that inhabit the pages of Broken; the plot is dark, dark, and just a little more dark.
I mean, you know, it is good writing when every time I pick up my Kindle to jump into Broken, I get this weary dread come over me.  I just know that we are going to be forced into a situation that we can't help but cry or scream about and yet we still seem to can't get enough of it.  I love this feeling even if it is a harrowing heartbreaking time as I read the darkness that has enveloped Sienna as she goes on her rampage.  Sienna does lose herself in this book but I also think she finds another part of her Meta human personality that she can embrace finally.
Yes, this is a really short book compared to the others in the series, but it is a heavy book in terms of emotion, plot, and how it weighs upon the entire story in general.  I wished it were longer but I really do see how we needed this book in order to move on to the books left.  Broken was a way for us the reader, as well as Sienna to get some kind of closure and get her mind right.  Or as much as she can, anyways.
Broken was a very personal book and it feels like we are one of the voices in her head, listening to her as she grieves and tries to come to terms with her life now.  I loved how personal the book is; even if it is a very  dark and twisted sort.
If you are a fan of X Men like fantasy with strong female heroines with some serious demented antagonists and a story that has romance in it but isn't drenched in it then I really think you should grab this series.  It is a breath of fresh air, albeit a tantalizing dark breath of fresh air, in the world of urban fantasy and science fiction.


Connect with the Robert J. Crane:


Robert J. Crane was born and raised on Florida's Space Coast before moving to the upper midwest in search of cooler climates and more palatable beer. He graduated from the University of Central Florida with a degree in English Creative Writing. He worked for a year as a substitute teacher and worked in the financial services field for seven years while writing in his spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design