Saturday, April 13, 2013

Book Review: Grave Mercy { His Fair Assassin Trilogy } by Robin LaFevers

Title:  Grave Mercy
Series: His Fair Assassin book 1
Author: Robin LaFevers
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books 
Date of Publication: April 3, 2012
Source: bought, Kindle, 576 pages
Links to Buy: Amazon   | Barnes & Noble |



Book Synopsis:
Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf? Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.
Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

-from Amazon page


My Thoughts:
This was such a killer of a book (sorry for the pun- couldn't help myself) and I absolutely loved every minute of it!  
Everyone that knows me, knows I am a huge fan of historical fiction.  I just love the old rustic medieval feel of a good story.  I love the outfits, I love the feel that comes with the sensation when I read about the Queen and her advisors, or those that mean to overthrow her.  Sorry, I just get excited when I think about historical fiction.  

So Ismae is probably one of my favorite characters of this year.  First, this lady is tough!  Oh my goodness I get chills thinking about how good she is at her calling.  She is like the James Bond of France in this book.  She even has some neat little tools she uses to get her "job" done.  I am telling you: Ismae is one tough female; almost like a Rambo in her day and age.  
But besides all the brawn, Ismae is no fool.  That is what I loved about her as well.  Sure she has been through a lot of anguish and yet she still uses her brain, instead of her hatred for men.  Even though I know there were times she wanted to go with that too.  
When I think of this book I think of the this quote:
Oh what a tangled web we weave;
When we first practise to deceive
- Sir Walter Scott

Grave Mercy is filled with so many plot twists, so many " oh my god" moments that I was just swept up into the rush of the story.  Everywhere you turn there is someone trying to stab someone else in the back; trying to up their political and court status at the expense of others.  Isn't it beautiful??? Sorry.

But then the author made this book even more tantalizing by adding an element of supernatural goodness to it.  Because not only are these La Femme Fatales a type of assassin they are a special type.  These are the daughters of Death himself.  Oh wholly goodness! Then she went and personified Death!  I love you,  Robin LaFevers! And it is an interesting mix of fear and understanding of Death throughout the story that I totally grips me and won't let go!

I fell in love with this story so deeply  I am having a very hard time waiting until I can buy the next book in the series, Dark Triumph.    I have to give this novel five hearts and I wish I could give it more like maybe a crazy looking out of this world heart for those that mean so much more to me than just five hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design