Sunday, March 3, 2013

ARC Book Review: Poison by Bridget Zinn

Title: Poison
Author: Bridget Zinn
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Expected Date of Publication: March 12, 2013
Source: ebook from Net Galley, 288 pages

Get your own copy here:  Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository |

Goodreads Description:Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.
But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart . . . misses.
Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king’s army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she’s not alone. She’s armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can’t stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her?
Kyra is not your typical murderer, and she’s certainly no damsel-in-distress—she’s the lovable and quick-witted hero of this romantic novel that has all the right ingredients to make teen girls swoon.

My Thoughts:
Poison is an adorable novel with a lot of heart and packed full of action.  Did I mention there is a cute little pig too?  I love it!
I can appreciate Rosie, our sweet piglet, because I used to have a baby pig when I was younger.  And yes they are very smart animals.  Of course, mine couldn't find people but it did have some other traits.    So yes I was definitely sold on Rosie.  
Poison reminds me of a fairy tale-yes, I know Kyra is a poison expert and trained killer-but besides those points, everything has the makings of it being a great fairy tale.   I, for one, enjoy the female heroine to be tough, smart, and likable.  
Poison is simply a fun book to read, whether you be eight years old or thirty something or another (hehehehe).  The plot line isn't very heavy but it has the feel of a good vs. evil outline, with the hero trying to save the kingdom from impending doom.  
The characters aren't so full of angst, but they do have this "coming to terms" with their past, if you will, that helps us enjoy the fact that they are not very complex.  But remember it is a children's fiction, so I don't fault it for the lack of complexity.  
But don't think this book is a bore; it is quite the opposite.  It has this huge twist that definitely made me say out loud, " What the fudge sundae?"  
I really truly loved this story.  It was such a fun read that went by very fast.  Too fast. 
Ms. Zinn, Rest in Peace, has created a wonderful story that will live forever delighting children and grown ups, alike with the love and friendship it offers in its pages.  
Five hearts indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design