Thursday, January 3, 2013

Review: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Title: The Night Circus
Author: Erin Morgenstern
Publisher:  DoubleDay
Date of Publication: Sept. 13, 2011
Source: my wonderful son gave it to me for Christmas :)

Get Your Own: Amazon | The Book Depository  | Barnes & Noble |



Book Synopsis:
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart.


My Thoughts:
How do I critique a book that I have absolutely no problem with?  Is that even possible?  To love something with so much passion you cannot see any mistakes at all?  I guess I have to say yes....it is possible.

And it happened.

I have been wanting to get my hands on The Night Circus for a very very long time now; but I feel like getting it for Christmas made it even more magical for me.  (Okay so I sound a little corny but please deal with me here)
My seven year old son (and his father) picked out this book for me and I am so happy they did.  This was the best book to read for me to ring in the New Year with, in my humblest opinion.

The cover of the book is mysterious with all the silver accents followed by the sprinkling of the stars in the inner cover.  And of course the circus is our main focal point fitting in the palm of a beautiful fragile hand.

(Ya'll know how I am with my covers)

The characters are vast and different; yet similar enough to relate to each other. I have never been a fan of the circus, but this type of circus,  Le Cirque de Reves, is a fantastical work of art that I found myself longing to be a part of physically, instead of just through the pages of a book.  But what made the circus even more magical, even more alluring was the people that lived among it.  The people that created it.  The people that lived, died, and loved the night circus.
Is there your typical "bad guys" in this story?  In a way, yes.  But they are more than just bad.  It is like they are supreme beings that should have known better but didn't care.
I wonder if (for the ones that has read it also) any of you have a favorite character that made your blood boil or made you feel like you were about to faint from love?  Was there a character that made you feel like you found your best friend or perhaps, a long lost sister/brother?
I, personally, loved the twins, Poppet and Widget, the most.  I loved their unusually conversations, especially how they seemed to be so much older than they acted.  They felt like old souls and truly made the story even that more interesting.  And even more appealing about them: they didn't fight like siblings do.  Perhaps that is what made them so unique (besides other things) was that they loved each dearly and respected each other's input.

Then there is the plot.  It reminded me, loosely, of the movie, The Prestige, as far as the basic plot elements. The magic, obviously, but the game also seems similar to the competition the two illusionists had going on with each other.
The writing of course is a masterpiece indeed.  The tales that Morgenstern weaves is melodic, beautifully crafted to tell us a story of heartache, a story of the ultimate power struggle and most importantly a story of love.
If you are not sure what you would like to read now but want something that flows constantly, has magic sprinkled throughout  the pages, and keeps you entertained days after you have finished this journey; then please give The Night Circus a chance.  It will be a journey that will keep you happy to the very last minute.





| Favorite Quote |

"I do not see as well without her.  I do not hear as well as without her.  I do not feel as well without her.  I would be better off without a hand or a leg  than without  my sister...."
The Night Circus, page 243

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely love that quote!!

    I'm currently reading this, so far so fab!
    Some of my fave characters are the twins too, they just come across so adorable.

    Great review, Amy. I'm already a follower, but following you on Twitter now too :-)

    Vix (TToria) from ttoria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You ever read a book that just makes you feel better about your life? This is one of those books that I just can't help smile when I think about it! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. You just made me want to hop on over to Amazon and put his prize in my e reader! I just hope I can put it down, I do require that thing called sleep. Sometimes I get so lost in a good book, its almost as if I am a part of it and the rest of my world no longer exists... Next thing I know it's daylight and my house is stirring!
    I love a good book, but I like sleep more;) haha
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should indeed. I have also read until the wee hours in the morning and paid the price the next day with active little boys running around and me a haze of sleep surrounding me.
      But...I think it might just be worth it. :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design