Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Review: Dark Seraphine by KaSonndra Leigh

Title: Dark Seraphine
Series: Seraphine Trilogy # 1
Author: KaSonndra Leigh
Publisher: Createspace
Date of Publication: October 21, 2012
Source: received copy for my honest review of it


Goodreads Synopsis:"Mom always says the angels walk among us. She forgot to tell me that sometimes they're not all fluffy and nice."
Seventeen-year-old Caleb Wood has seen people he calls the walkers since he was a baby. It didn't take long for him to realize something…no one can see these strangers but him. They never stuck around or tried to touch him. And they never said a word. That was until one day on the first day of class in his senior year when an incredibly gorgeous girl strolls into his life…and things are never the same again.
Soon Caleb realizes he has stepped into the middle of a growing conflict between two ancient groups. And his ability to see the invisible ones, the half-breeds that want to modify the human race, just might be the only hope both he and the mysterious, but infuriating, Gia, have of making it out alive

My Thoughts:
 I really really am crazy about this author, KaSonndra Leigh, and her adult novel, Haceinda Moon.  I loved that book so much and it was a ghost story too *(not usually my thing but lately it fits).  She is a great writer and can really spin a tale of torture, suspense, and love.
With that being said, Dark Seraphine, just wasn't for me.  I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.  It was just blah for me.  Nothing really stood out for me.  I like Caleb but he wasn't a spectacular character that I immediately fell in love with, but instead he was just likable.  It is typical high school drama with the slew of characters: you have the nerds, the cheerleaders, the outsiders, and then, in this case the Walkers.
The plot is a interesting one and especially coming from a guy's point of view too.
There is action in it to keep guys occupied.  I actually liked that Caleb taught self defense; this makes him even more lovable to the reader.
I think the story line is a great idea but I just couldn't get into the story try as I might.  A lot of the characters fell a little flat for me and half the time I was confused as to what was going on.
I did think our author did a great job of keeping us in the dark along with Caleb as far as who Gia really is and what she is really doing there.
There is a love triangle in this story but I felt like it was forced because so many other YA novels have it there too.  Erica was complicated.  We were able to see she was different than what the school believed her to be but then she just ticked me off when she acted so nonchalant about Caleb.   And then of course there is Gia.  She is our mysterious girl that is always there when Caleb gets his temper going but can never give us a straight answer.  I did wholeheartedly love the fact that Gia is this awesome girl skateboarder who the school is totally crushing on.

This story wasn't for me but I wouldn't pass it up totally. The author is a wonderful writer and has some great stories out there right now.  I just wasn't feeling this one but if you are really into a male's pov, love triangles, mysterious girls, and many magical moments then you should definitely give it a shot!
I gave it 2 hearts.

Get your own copy at:  Amazon | Barnes & Noble | 

Connect with KaSonndra Leigh at : Goodreads | Website | Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design