Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Where'd she go? Over there??? Over here????

Hey ya'll!  I am soooo sorry I have been MIA this past week!  I promise I didn't want to be but life has its way of popping up and hitting you with a bam!

Bam!  I like that word and I try to use it at least once a day in my wordplay.  Sorry I digress...

I have been so busy teaching my fourth grade twins their multiplication tables (oh the HORROR!), working with my 2nd grader to focus on not taking all day to write three sentences, and trying to keep my four year old from destroying us all, that the blog has taken a backseat.  Not intentionally I swear!

I have learned when homeschooling kids some things get traded up; like say your sanity.  Only joking (shaking my head feverishly) really.

And along with the terrible task of memorizing multiplication facts, it was portfolio time again.  This, ladies and gentlemen, is where Mr Anthony, my 9 year old son, wails and moans about the unfairness of making him write to a prompt that he deems silly.  Of course, any prompt the school sent to him would be silly; whereas any idea he has would be highly intelligent.  I never knew the whines of a nine year old could be compared to fingernails on a chalkboard...but hey even I can learn something new too!!

Mr. Conner likes to take the silent moody approach instead.  He just sits there, staring off into space, gritting his teeth and making some small growls in his chest.  Amazingly, it still has the tendency to push Mom's anxiety buttons.
With the multiplication facts, Anthony is slowly plowing through making progress.  My dear dear Conner, though, seems to have the concept that he cannot memorize the different tables.  He says he only has room for a few facts.  However, he does have memorized every single Goosebumps book he owns in his head, along with the many different beanie babies and he knows facts about R.L. Stine that is pretty darn amazing.
Are we seeing a trend here people?  Things he loves (R.L. Stine, Goosebumps, beanie babies) he doesn't consider memorizing.  It isn't a chore.  So my question to you guys is: how do we make the multiplication facts something fun and not the dreaded chore???

Thanks to all of you for putting up with my ramblings, my missing in action times, and just my zany quirkiness.  I love all of you very much and I promise I will begin posting more reviews this week.
Okay I am back to the land of fun....huh?
There is only so many times a kid can sharpen their pencil before you are considered stalling!  This mom does have some tricks up her sleeves too................I hope!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the homeschooling. I recently quit my job to devote more time to homeschooling. The loss of income hurts, but education is important. Multiplication tables... my kids always enjoyed flashcards, but that isn't for everyone. If you can find a way to make it fun, like bingo...
    http://greatmathsgames.com/multiplication/item/18-multiplication-bingo.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Tricia that does sound fun. I personally love bingo so I know I will like it. Thanks for the website! We will definitely check that out tomorrow, after one more final copy provision on the portfolio. Fun times indeed lol!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design