Saturday, July 21, 2012

Review: The Mayfair Moon(Darkwoods Trilogy) by J.A. Redmerski

Title: The Mayfair Moon


Series: Darkwoods Trilogy


Author: J.A. Redmerski


Publisher:  Create A Space


Date of Publication: Jan. 6, 2012


Format: paperback, ebook


Source: bought on Amazon for Kindle




Goodreads Summary:
After a nightmarish encounter with a werewolf, seventeen-year-old Adria Dawson loses her sister, but gains the love of a mysterious young man and his legendary family.

Strange and tragic things begin to happen in the small town of Hallowell, Maine: residents come down with an unexplainable ‘illness’ and some disappear. In the midst of everything, Isaac Mayfair is adamant about keeping Adria safe, even from her sister whom he has warned her to stay away from.

As unspeakable secrets unfold all around Adria, impossible choices become hers to bear. Ultimately, no matter what path she takes, her life and the lives of those she loves will be in peril. As she learns about the werewolf world she also learns why her place in it will change the destinies of many.





My Feelings:

I really like the ebook cover art more so than the print cover.  This one, up above, is dark, eerie and just a little scary.  All great ingredients for a werewolf story.  Now with that being said, I don't hate the other cover, it is just more of a romantic view of the werewolf story.  


Okay guys this story starts out in Athens, Ga!!!  That was very cool to me, especially since I live like forty-five minutes from there.  This helped me connect better with Adria and even Alex more because they are just GA girls who enjoy the same night sky that I do.  
Then when the terrible event happens to them you can't help but have these goosebumps crawl all over you thinking, "hmm..that isn't too far away..."  Yes. I do realize this is fiction but still.  
I loved how Redmerski showed us how very close Adria and Alex were as sisters.  It makes the heartbreak and betrayal even more saddening. Where Alex is tough and strong, Adria was more tender and sensitive to others.  After everything that happens, we are able to see Adria grow to be the strong one everyone else needs her to be.  


After they move, it is interesting how quick Adria finds friends and settles down into this new life she has.  I would have thought she would have had a more hard time in the friends department.
There are a lot of similarities in this book to the Twilight series, but this could be said for a lot of other YA paranormal romance series too.  Werewolves are kinda my addiction and these werewolves are VERY different than the Twilight wolves.  
And that is a good thing.  Everyone has gotten so used to werewolves being a gigantic wolf (which I do love those ones too) but these beasts are just that...beasts.  
It made me think of the werewolf in the movie, WolfMan or The Howling, but not corny like those ones.  
But Redmerski took it a step further.  She did give these "monsters" somewhat of a conscience and they can understand a little bit of what is going on around them.  
I loved The Mayfair House or den as it seemed to be called many many times.  It was creepy, and yet sexy too.  Especially with all the female wolves flocking to the Alphas.  
Speaking of Alphas, Issac is...pretty hot!  He is brooding, strong, sexy as hell, and yet gentle.  I liked him immensely and loved the fact he was more forward with his feelings.  


The plot in The Mayfair Moon is a complex one.  What just seems like a freak accident turns out to be much more and Adria is the divining rod for the war between the two werewolf families.  
Some of the plot can be confusing especially when it comes to the histories of the werewolf factions but this story is still very amazing to me!  I am so glad I snatched up a copy of this book and I can't wait to get started with the second book, Kindred.


I gave The Mayfair Moon five hearts~




Get your copy of The Mayfair Moon here:










3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for a fantastic review of my book, Amy! I hope you'll love KINDRED just as much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I love werewolves and you definitely put an interesting twist to it!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design