Tuesday, July 10, 2012

ARC Review: The Covert Wolf by Bonnie Vanak


                                     Title: The Covert Wolf (Draicon Werewolves)
Author: Bonnie Vanak
            Publisher: Harlequin Nocturne
              Publication Date: July 24, 2012
                              Source: ebook from Net Galley, 288 pages

Goodreads Summary:
Loyalties collide, passions ignite and a high-stakes adventure ensues in Bonnie Vanak's sensual new military series.…

When a mission gone wrong kills his best friend, Navy SEAL Matthew Parker will stop at nothing to destroy the demons who threaten his team. To do so, Matt must locate a mysterious orb before the demons use it to destroy the world. But the only woman who can help
him—Sienna McClare—has her own agenda…and every reason for hating his kind.

A half blood, Sienna hopes returning the orb to her people will gain her acceptance back into the only family she's known. But working with a Draicon werewolf like Matt comes with a high price—one that could cost Sienna her dreams. A natural-born leader, her werewolf lover must now teach Sienna to listen to her heart—and go where their all consuming passion leads them…


My Feelings:


I really liked the idea of an elite group of soldiers that were highly trained but also had other abilities too.  This group is dedicated to each other and each one specializes in a special ability.  It isn't just werewolves, but mages, wizards, and shifters.
I loved how Matthew Parker is an alpha but instead of always looking out for his pack, he treats his team more like his pack.  That isn't to say he doesn't love his family but he has accepted this group of guys as a another dimension of his family.
A lot of adult paranormal romances I read are all about the Alpha set on one purpose: to claim his mate.  But this story isn't like that.  I mean, yes, you have the sexual tension throughout which makes the book frustrating and yummy all at the same time.  But it isn't all about sex.  I can't believe I just said that...lol
The plot is important too.  In fact it takes these two a long time to actually "do the deed" so to speak, which I believe just adds more to the emotional aspect of the story.
The developing relationship between Matt and Sienna seemed to have more realistic problems that other regular couples go through (besides the demons chasing them, and the fact they are both a little magical) and I enjoyed this detail.
There were times I felt like Vanak seemed to drag out some parts and I was just ready for it to happen already but eventually everything ties in nicely.  In fact, the ending completely threw me for a loop and I was definitely pleasantly surprised.
The male characters are your typical Alphas but Sienna is a strong female character that also has a insecure side that only makes her more enduring to me.
Out of the "supporting characters" in the book I found myself drawn to Stephen, the vampire in the French Quarter.  He seemed caring, mysterious and very alluring.
I also really liked how Vanak tied in the other characters from previous books in this one.  It was like a big family reunion.
And of course I love when an author will work in lots of humor among the romance, suspense, and sexual energy.
Even if you haven't read any of Vanak's other books I believe you would be okay.  She gives really good descriptions and provides enough background that you can understand who is who in this story.

My Favorite Quotes:
"Create a distraction.  Talk to it. Feed its ego.  Demons love having their ego stroked."
"As long as you don't  ask me to stroke anything else," she muttered.

"The greatest power in the world isn't found in a crystal ball. It's found in our ability to love."

I gave The Covert Wolf four hearts!




Do you want your own copy of The Covert Wolf? Find it onAmazon
   or Barnes and Noble.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design