Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Book Review: Antigoddess by Kendare Blake {Book 1 of The Goddess War}

Title:  Antigoddess
Series: Goddess War
Author: Kendare Blake
Publisher: Tor Teen
Date of Publication: Sept. 10, 2013
Source: bought, Kindle, 337 pages
Rating: YA, mythology, 


Goodreads Summary:
The Goddess War begins in Antigoddess, the first installment of the new series by acclaimed author of Anna Dressed in Blood, Kendare Blake.
Old Gods never die…
Or so Athena thought. But then the feathers started sprouting beneath her skin, invading her lungs like a strange cancer, and Hermes showed up with a fever eating away his flesh. So much for living a quiet eternity in perpetual health.
Desperately seeking the cause of their slow, miserable deaths, Athena and Hermes travel the world, gathering allies and discovering enemies both new and old. Their search leads them to Cassandra—an ordinary girl who was once an extraordinary prophetess, protected and loved by a god.

These days, Cassandra doesn’t involve herself in the business of gods—in fact, she doesn’t even know they exist. But she could be the key in a war that is only just beginning.

Because Hera, the queen of the gods, has aligned herself with other of the ancient Olympians, who are killing off rivals in an attempt to prolong their own lives. But these anti-gods have become corrupted in their desperation to survive, horrific caricatures of their former glory. Athena will need every advantage she can get, because immortals don’t just flicker out.

Every one of them dies in their own way. Some choke on feathers. Others become monsters. All of them rage against their last breath.
The Goddess War is about to begin.

At the publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management software (DRM) applied.

My Thoughts:
 I  love how Kendare Blake can take something that is always been written about and create  something that seems timeless and new at the same time.  She takes these age old myths and turns them on their heads.  There are some amazing twists and turns in this story, it is like being on a roller coaster.

Who would have thought that the gods could truly die?  Well Blake does!  This author is very creative in finding ways for the gods and goddesses to die, according to their powers.  Whether it be consumed by feathers from the inside out or driven to madness, Antigoddess brings out the darker and more twisted aspects of the Greek deities we have come to know over the years. 
And the cover!   I love the feather falling dripping blood as it floats downward.  The cover is a great depiction of what the novel is about and it really grabs the reader's attention.  
The novel really just jumps right into the world and we are thrown into Athena's ailment along with Hermes' sickness.  I felt Athena's suffering with her as I imagined feeling feathers growing inside of the body, puncturing your organs.  I love that Blake didn't have a leading up to what and why of their sicknesses but instead we are thrown together with the little that they know as they travel to get the answers they seek.  

I am a huge fan of Kendare Blake's writing style.  She understands that life isn't wrapped up in a neat little bow; instead it is crude and raw and difficult.  She pushes the envelope, like you wouldn't believe, for young adult and I always feel like I am getting more than I expected.  Depending on the situation, she will use curse words and very graphic ways to describe it but she never goes over the line of being too much.  Everything she does is in proportion to the story she is telling.  

Another great aspect of this book is the characters.  All of the characters, mortal and gods, are intense and complex.  With Cassandra, she brings the concept of reincarnation to the forefront and adds just another awesome thread to an already great story line. And Aidan! Oh my dear Aidan.  He is such a romantic and it is hard not to fall in love with him.    We get to see what really makes all of these characters tick as they go through the reality of what is coming.  I love this story but some of the twists did make me scream out loud!  

I guess I am gushing but I am really in love with this story!  I was satisfied completely with Antigoddess and I am so ready for the next book!  If you are a fan of Greek mythology with some super twists and modernizing aspects, I highly suggest you pick this up!  You might even find out you are a huge Kendare Blake fan too!



Get Your Copy at:
Amazon |Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository |

Connect with Kendare Blake:
Goodreads |Website |Twitter|

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design