Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Book Review: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Title:  hush, hush
Series: hush, hush # 1
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Genre: YA romance
Source: bought from B *A*M



Goodreads Synopsis:
A SACRED OATHA FALLEN ANGELA FORBIDDEN LOVE
Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.
But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.

My Thoughts:
 Well I realize I am probably behind on the bandwagon for this book.  It took me a long time to pick it up even though I had it on my shelf for a pretty long time.  I liked the cover, loved the synopsis just wasn't sure if I was ready for an angel book.  This came at the same time I was getting over Castiel from Supernatural going goofy.  I really loved that guy!
Anyways, so angels are always a fascinating subject for me but also a touchy subject.  When does it cross into religion and stay in fiction or is there a compromise for the two?  I personally am not a reader of religious fiction just because it doesn't appeal to me, even though I have people buy it for me all the time.  If I do actually find a book out there that can satisfy my points and still be considered religious fiction then I guess I will be doing okay.
Sorry I digress...
So hush, hush has this certain lure to it just from the cover alone.  I mean come on there is an angel on the cover, apparently falling, having his wings dispatched from his body (yes I noticed the red on some of the feathers up top) that makes you want to cringe and interests you as well.
I have always been the lover of the bad boy persona and Patch really fulfilled those expectations in every way.  Yes, he does have that creepy vibe and is somewhat stalker-esque, which I think added to the dual conflict he was having within himself.  But maybe he was just too much stalkerish for young girls in high school.  Because ladies stalkers are not the greatest thing in the world.  But I would hope the ladies that read this book are grown up enough to establish between the real world and the literary world.
Which I am.
Anyways, I did like Patch because I was able to see this undermining quality in him that he did really care for Nora.  But in his "bad boy" way getting it out there didn't come out in the best of circumstances though.  One of my favorite scenes was when they were discussing qualities in a potential mate in class.  That was pretty funny and definitely hot.
Nora, I also liked a lot.  I was very proud of her that she didn't slink in the corner when the other guy tries to get rough with her.  Which is another thing in Patch's defense.  He never laid his hands on her in a violent way ever.
I could actually relate to Nora in years past.  I was the smart girl that didn't have any guys hanging off of me at all in high school because they didn't appeal to my higher sense of intelligence ( and lot of them were jerky)
and they didn't think I was worth the trouble.  So Nora had that sense of innocence that also applies to many other smart girls out there too.
There was one person though that I couldn't stand the entire book and probably brought the story down for me a little for me too.  VEE!  I just could not connect with this girl!  She was rude, selfish, and just totally lacking what a true best friend would have done.  I mean come on, if your girl tells you that someone manhandled her you're not supposed to take the guy's side for any reason at all!!!  No exceptions!
Of course, I could have misunderstood some of that since there could have been another influence in there too.  But Vee really just rubbed me the wrong way the entire time.  I think the story would have been a helluva lot better without her in it at all.
The plot was a really good one.  There were a few twists and turns that I figured out but then there was some more that totally blew my mind as well.   I also am very curious if there is a more too Nora's dad that we might figure out something in the next books???  I guess I will just have to see.
If you are a fan of angel books with the bad boys in it that make your heart beat a little faster then I think you would definitely give hush, hush a try.  It has this eerie, creepy, and downright haunting effect on you as you read about the fallen angels that walk the Earth.  As well as the angels that exist elsewhere.
I enjoyed the flirtatious convos between Patch and Nora and I loved the thriller side as we try to figure out who or what is out to get Nora.
I had to give hush, hush four hearts and I can't wait to start Crescendo soon!

Connect with the Author:
Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

Get your own copy:
Amazon | Books a Million | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design