Tuesday, June 11, 2013

ARC Book Review: Ink by Amanda Sun {Book 1: Paper Gods}

Title: Ink
Author: Amanda Sun
Series: Paper Gods Book 1
Publisher: Harlequin Teen

Expected Date of Publication: June 25, 2013
Source: e-Galley via Net Galley and Harlequin

Links to Buy: Amazon | Barnes & Noble |
*this book satisfies my challenges: Debut Author Challenge 2013
YA Mythology Challenge 2013*


From Goodreads:
INK IS IN THEIR BLOOD.
On the heels of a family tragedy, Katie Greene must move halfway across the world. Stuck with her aunt in Shizuoka, Japan, Katie feels lost. Alone. She doesn't know the language, she can barely hold a pair of chopsticks, and she can't seem to get the hang of taking her shoes off whenever she enters a building.

When Katie meets aloof but gorgeous Tomohiro, the star of the school's kendo team, she is intrigued by him...and a little scared. His tough attitude seems meant to keep her at a distance, and when they're near each other, strange things happen. Pens explode. Ink drips from nowhere. And unless Katie is seeing things, drawings come to life.

Somehow Tomo is connected to the Kami, powerful ancient beings who once ruled Japan-and as feelings develop between Katie and Tomo, things begin to spiral out of control. The wrong people are starting to ask questions, and if they discover the truth, no one will be safe.



My Thoughts:

Okay so every since I first seen the cover of this book, I knew I was going to be reading it.  And then I got lucky enough to get a digital advanced copy of it and lets just say I woke the neighbors squeeing  as loud as I could.  
I love how the cover of Ink looks a little like a tattoo (which is the first thing I thought of when I seen the title ) but it is very detailed and very intense with the vibrant colors.  
And then I found out that the story was based on Japanese folklore/mythology and I was again squeeing like a ten year old girl.  I love mythology so much and I absolutely adore that this one is based on some lesser known mythologies.  
But Ink was so much more than just a YA mythology book; it was more like a cultural explosion.  Amanda Sun incorporates everything Japanese in the story line so it feels like we are immersed in the society.  I loved how she included Japanese words in the story to help us become more acclimated to the whole cultural difference.  
The way Amanda Sun sets up the world building and descriptions of the areas in Japan made me want to visit there in person so bad.  (Too bad I am so afraid of flying) She is very good with her descriptions and you can tell she truly has a passion for the community.

Besides the setting, the characters are pretty intense too.  
Katie is a very strong female heroine that definitely had me enthralled.  She thinks she isn't tough but I find that hard to believe.   Katie lost her mom and goes to live with her aunt in Japan.  She has learned so much and subconsciously finds she calls Japan home, while on the outside she battles with her acceptance of Japan.  
Katie is very well at adapting and I think that what makes her such a strong character is her ability to adapt to her surroundings as well as the reality that surrounds her.  
Then there is Tomo.  Oh Tomo.  What a snarky, brooding, artistic, gorgeous guy!  Tomo is an enigma indeed.  He has this tough guy exterior but we soon find out there is so much hiding in his many layers.  He has this amazing "old spirit" quality to him and the fact that he shares the same heartbreaking past as Katie has makes him that much more of a love interest.  
There is so much going on in Ink that it is hard not to fall in love with this story.  You get a true romance, a strong female character, and a plot that surprises us with its many twists.  And to top it all off: Japanese mafia.  You really can't beat it.  
Warning:  Every time I picked up the book and began to read I craved Japanese food.  You will too.  Probably.  If you are anything like me.  And don't feel bad Katie, I still can't use chopsticks either.  




Connect with Amanda Sun:

From Amanda Sun's website:


I’m a YA author and proud Nerdfighter. I was born in Deep River, Canada, a very small town without traffic lights or buses, and where stranger safety is comprised of what to do if you see a bear—or skunk. I started reading fantasy novels at 4 and writing as soon as I could hold a pencil. Hopefully my work’s improved since then.
In university I took English, Linguistics, and Asian History, before settling into Archaeology, because I loved learning about the cultures and stories of ancient people. Of course, I didn’t actually become an archaeologist—I have an intense fear of spiders. I prefer unearthing fascinating stories in the safety of my living room.
The Paper Gods is inspired by my time living in Osaka and travelling throughout Japan. That and watching far too many J-Dramas. I currently live in Toronto with
my husband and daughter. When I’m not writing, I’m devouring YA books, knitting nerdy things like Companion Cubes and Triforce mitts, and making elaborate cosplays for anime cons.

Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads |

International readers want to pre-order a copy? Check out The Book Depository where it ships free (as long as they ship to where you live)

The Book Depository  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design