Thursday, October 18, 2012

Book Review: Chasm by Christina Garner {Book 2 in The Gateway Trilogy}

Title: Chasm
Series: The Gateway Trilogy
Author: Christina Garner
Publisher/Date of Publication: Self/August 21,2012
Format: Kindle
Source: received from author for honest opinion of it.
Get your copy: Amazon 



Two months have passed since Ember Lyons nearly died killing the powerful Root Demon threatening the Los Angeles Gateway.  Physically healed, images of the day still haunt her and she can no longer access the power she once wielded.  She can't talk about with anyone at The Institute-not even her handsome demon-hunting boyfriend, Taren.Besides there are bigger things to worry about: Gateways around the world are weakening, Keeper's Marks are fading, escaped lesser demons are populating Los Angeles, and it looks like the Root Demon wasn't alone.When the Institute sends Ember and a team to Europe, she hopes to find answers and security on the journey, but another attempt on her life reminds her she's never really safe.  Then she's thrust together with the mysterious Alexander.  Ember can't be sure if this charismatic man is her most formidable enemy or greatest ally.  Either way, she needs him, because he's the only one who can bring her to the...Chasm.
-Goodreads Summary

My Feelings:
I really enjoy Ms. Garner's exciting young adult fantasy/paranormal trilogy, The Gateway.  If you would like to check out my review of the first book, Gateway, click here
In this second book, we see that Ember actually has a little more confidence in herself and is a vital part to the Institute in Los Angeles , even if the Elders don't like it.  
I like the fact that our main heroine, Ember, has a lot more going on.  She isn't the broken fragile girl we meet in the first book, but more sure of herself.  This is not to say she still doesn't fear the demons; hell, I don't blame her for still being afraid of something that can take over her mind and freewill like it did.  Ember has grown a lot but we can still glimpse that scared little girl too.  To me, this makes her more realistic and a lot more likable character.
Speaking of characters, I love all the supporting ones in this story, good and bad.  The antagonists are true evil and yet...you can't help but enjoy their view on the world.  We have a lot of different types of demons that are explained in this story and it always brings to mind, Supernatural.  (I know, I know...I tend to compare books to T.V. shows.  Don't judge me.) 
Alexander is a mystery, even though I found myself questioning his motives the entire time.  He is a charismatic man and you can see potential through his eyes.  
Taren is a great YA boyfriend.  He is your typical strong, loyal, protective and gorgeous male lead.  I think he is good for Ember, especially being the one that found her in the first book.  
Ms. Garner does know how to write a steamy sexy scene for YA eyes, just enough "ummph" to make you sweat, yet it doesn't cross the line into no man's land.
The main plot is basically the same as in the first book and at first I thought this would get a little boring but instead Ms. Garner inserted different twists into the book that made it even more exciting.  I did feel like some minor plot lines were left unsettled, especially having to do with the marks fading.  
I was at times, wanting to scream at Ember to think; actually think about what was happening!  But even through this, I still felt this strong connection with Ember and I like her as our female lead.  
But my most favorite character in this book?  Kat! This girl totally rocks! She is funny, smart, sexy, a kick ass Guardian, and yes...she is snarky!(My coveted word for those I truly treasure)
Oh and of course there is a cliffhanger that will have you pulling your hair out by the roots but I completely understand why it had to happen...but still.   
There is a lot of grammatical errors in this story though.  I usually try to look past these but there was a few times I got a little distracted by these mistakes.  Thankfully, though, the plot is strong enough to keep my interest in this story.  
I can't wait till book three when we get to meet Cole, in person, and I have a feeling he will play a major part (and perhaps love interest for one of Ember's shy friends?) in the finality of the Gateways.  I just hope he and Taren will get along...
Update: I did find out from the author that the copy I received was more of ARC copy but the final copy that is available for purchase and download is free of these errors.  Awesome! 


Favorite Quote:

"Impossible," she said.   "Not that I blame him-- that was way too close of a call you had the other day.  Especially now," she said.
"Why, especially now?"  I asked, concern breaking through my sleepiness. 
"Well, because now I know you're such a good kisser," she said with a grin.  "No wonder he doesn't want to lose you."
"Goodnight, Kat," I said, simultaneously flipping her off and smiling into my pillow.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for your review. I'm really sorry that your copies had errors. That problem has been corrected.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design