Wednesday, October 24, 2012

ARC Review: The Lost Prince by Julie Kagwa {Book 1: Call of the Forgotten}

Title: The Lost Prince
Series: The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Expected Publishing Date: Oct. 30, 2012
Format: e-ARC
Source: Net Galley
Get It: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository



Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.
That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.
Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.
This novel is one of Julie’s books that will have you demanding for the second one as soon as you finish your read.-goodreads summary
My Thoughts:
I truly want to smack myself for not reading more of the Iron Fey books until now.  These stories are so good!  The Lost Prince is a combination of the Iron Fey series and a new series too.  And even though I am completely behind (this is the fifth book in the Iron Fey series) I could still follow the plot really well .  
Julie Kagawa's writing is amazing!  The world of Faery has so many complex areas to it, not to mention the different Fae creatures that live there, that I was constantly being surprised every few pages.  The Iron Realm was pretty darn creative too!  It was like Kagawa took the old stories of Fae and intertwined them with some steampunk to develop these odd and yet totally enjoyable characters.
Speaking of the characters, there are so many to choose from!  Of course, I really liked Ethan, although, there were a few times I wanted him to stop being a jerk.  My favorite trait of his, besides being super yummy, was that he stood up to the bullies.  Even though it was one of Them, he still had his morals.  I loved that about him! 
Kenzie was pretty cool except I could tell she was hiding something.  That made me wonder if I could trust her and then when I did find out what she was hiding, I felt really guilty.  She was the perfect fit for Ethan.  Where he was this "brooding", quiet bad guy persona type, she was this light, stubborn, funny and definitely smart girl that was his equal part.  The dialogue between these two was fun and I loved the flirty nature of each of them.  
Oh Todd was this cute nerdy little guy that I liked a lot.  It seemed like the more Ethan tried to stay away from Them, the more it seemed he was drawn to everything about Them. 
I was able to follow the main plot line very well, especially with this being my first book I have read from the series, and all the different minor threads didn't confuse me either. In fact, it added even more excitement to the story.  Can I just say that the small part Puck plays in has made me a fan for life?  I can't wait to start at the beginning to get to know these massively attractive guys!
I didn't get to read much about the Iron Queen, Ethan's sister, but I feel like Ethan holds so much hostility for her that it blurs the truth for him.  I see she has so much on her shoulders and I think I would really like her.  
It was hard not to get this creepy shiver going down my back when you think there is this unseen world in the shadows always watching.  The Fair folk are such a mesmerizing fantasy anyways, but then Kagawa adds this modern twists and Fae with darker desires too.  
We meet a lot of new characters in this story as well the well loved ones from the other books.  It helps to create this seemingly magical world where good and evil collide and lines between wrong and right get blurred for those you love.  I was deliciously terrified of the antagonists in the story and sickened from what they did just to be remembered; but it made you ask the question: how far would you be willing to go to stay alive?
I gave it five hearts.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design