Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Book Review: Linger by Maggie Stiefvater {Wolves of Mercy Falls}

Title: linger
Series: Wolves of Mercy Falls Book 2
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Date of Publication: July 13, 2010
Source: borrowed from Leigh Ann at Silver Wings Reviews
Format: hardcover, 360 pages
Get your copy: Amazon / Barnes and Noble



Goodreads Summary:
The astonishing #1 New York Times bestseller.

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.


My Feelings:

I have to say Linger is my favorite book of the series so far! It was just so breathtaking with the writing and the action scenes throughout the book.  I don't think my review could even possibly do this novel justice but I am still going to go ahead and give it a try.  

Everything in Linger, spoken and unspoken, comes to play in this beautifully written story.  Grace has finally made her parents come to terms with their style of "parenting" through the actions Grace makes.  I really disliked Grace's mom and dad, and I really tried to like them.  I tried to look through their eyes, understand the whys of their complete lack of parenting, but I simply could not get it.  And I did look at it through a parent's point of view.   I guess that may be one reason it ticked me off so bad.  
Grace really grows in this novel more than ever.  She becomes stronger and more in charge of what is really inside of her.  
Sam grows a little bit but I think he is still troubled and probably a tad more confused even though his dream has come true.  Or what he thinks is his dream.  But we get to see more of what makes Sam tick in Linger and again we get to know the pack by living through Sam's memories of them.  Sam's memories are a great and sad thing but one of the things I enjoy the most about him.  
Isabel has really changed the most in Linger.  She started out as the vindictive popular girl in school and now she is so much more.  I really didn't think I was going to like her but I have been put in my place.  I am now torn when it comes to Isabel.  Some of the things she says and does makes me want to scream at her but then she still seems to be the voice of reason in the midst of all the chaos.  I have a feeling that Isabel will play a very major part in this series till the very end.  
We also get to meet a new character in Linger.  Cole St. Clair.  Wow! That name is a mouthful in itself!  
Cole is our "bad boy" wolf who brings a whole another element to our series.  I honestly think Cole is exactly what Sam needs, besides Grace, to come into his life and the pack.  And Sam is exactly what Cole needs to help him become a better person and wolf.  These two are really fun to watch interacting with each other.  They want to dislike each other so bad and yet can't help finding traits that they both have in each other.  It didn't take me very long to see why Beck chose Cole to come into the pack to help lead.  
All of these characters bring different perspectives to the book, making us look through their eyes to see the heartache and pain they have had to endure to bring them to where they are now.  I absolutely loved seeing the different povs and I felt it helped us understand what went on in their minds.  The fear, the love, the understanding, and the pain is all brought to the front in this second book.  
In Shiver, we are introduced to Mercy Falls and the different characters but in Linger we are brought inside their beings as we become a part of their very existences.  
I gave Linger five hearts for the most compelling, emotional story ever!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or well wishes. I love meeting new people and I would love to know how you feel about what I have posted! :)
After much consideration I have decided I want my blog to be award free. My readers are more than enough award for me! Thank ya'll so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glorious Day kit by Vera Lim Design